1300 TRISON (1300 874 766) info@trison.edu.au

For International Students Visa Information

Visa Information

Student visa (subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

You can apply for the following types of study on this visa:

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • school ? primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses ?a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses ?a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees ?a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses ? non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.


You may be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course. This is known as course packaging.

More information for students

In some cases you can apply for family members to join you in Australia.

As a student, it is important to check what you can bring into Australia before you enter. Please ensure you visit our Can I bring it back? guide before you decide to bring anything to Australia.

If you are an education provider and wish to know more, see information for education providers.

There is more information for students available.

This visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.

What this visa lets you do

  • You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
  • You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours.
  • You can generally stay in Australia until your course is finished.

Before you apply

Before you apply for this visa, you must have:

  • been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia
  • organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.

How long this visa lasts

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course.

Duration of course Duration of visa
Longer than 10 months and finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November ? December) Your visa will usually be granted to March 15 of the following year.
Longer than 10 months (finishing January – October) Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course.
10 months or less Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.

More information is available about student visa grant periods.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Visa application

You must apply for this visa online. You can apply when you are in or outside Australia.

After you have gathered and scanned the documents that support your application, create an account and apply for your student visa with our online application system ? ImmiAccount.

You should make sure that you meet requirements for a student visa before you accept an offer and pay any tuition fees.

Preparing your application

  • Non-English documents must be translated into English. If you are in Australia, your translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country that issued the documents for a translator.
  • Scan all documents ? both non-English documents and translated documents.
  • Attach scanned copies to your online application when asked.
  • Provide certified copies of your documents.
  • Submit all?documents with your application or your application could be refused or a decision on your visa could be delayed


You must pay the application fee when you apply or your application will not be valid.

More information is available about how to pay.

General Information (Application process)

Once you’ve decided on a qualification/course, it’s time to apply for admission. The first step is to apply for the course/qualification you want. There are two ways to apply:

  1. Direct to the education provider

To apply direct, download the application form from the education provider’s website.

  1. Through an Australian education agent

Most institutions partner with a number of agents. Details on the agents Trison Business College works with can be found on Colleges website or by contacting them directly.

You will need to prepare supporting documentation to send with your application. The documents vary depending on the course, and qualification you’re studying for. The most important documents include:

  • Certificates that verify your previous study, including qualifications you already have.
  • Evidence of your English language proficiency.
  • Certificates or documents which verify previous study or work experience if you are seeking course credits. These must be translated into English.


Receiving your Letter of Offer

If your application is successful, you will receive a Letter of Offer. To confirm your offer you must respond to this letter by signing and sending an acceptance of offer back to Trison Business College. This can usually be done by mail or, in some cases, by scanning and emailing the letter. The Letter of Offer is a contract between you and the college. It sets out the course/qualification you will be enrolled in, enrolment conditions, the fees you need to pay, and the refund payable if you dont complete your course with that provider. This contract is very important ? if you dont start your course, or finish your course, this written agreement will be used to determine if you will receive a refund.


  • Read the Letter of Offer carefully before you accept it.
  • Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements.
  • Do not accept the Letter of Offer if you are not happy with any of its terms.
  • Keep a copy of the Letter of Offer. You will need this copy so that you are aware of your rights and if you have to make a claim against the college.

Confirmation of Enrolment

After you have accepted your Offer and paid your deposit you will receive an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) by email. This will outline your course start date, total course fees and how long your course will run for.