1300 TRISON (1300 874 766) info@trison.edu.au

For International Students Plan Your Arrival

After you have accepted your offer to study at Trison Business College, you can start planning your arrival in Australia.

There are a number of things you must do before you depart your home country. Use our resources to help plan your arrival.

Have you:

  • booked your flights?
  • arranged your accommodation or confirmed these arrangements with Trison Business College?
  • arranged for airport transfer or confirmed these arrangements with Trison Business College?
  • arranged for health cover during your stay in Australia?

Ensure you bring the following:

  • current and valid passport
  • current student visa
  • exit visa (if necessary)
  • medical documents
  • vaccination and health papers
  • Confirmation of Enrolment
  • receipt of tuition fee payment
  • International Drivers Licence
  • Australian currency
  • personal and credit references
  • names and addresses of your family and an emergency contact

Ensure these documents are with you when you travel to Australia. Do not pack them in your check-in luggage.

Before you fly

After your application has been processed, your deposit has been paid and your student visa has been issued, you can book your flight to Melbourne/Adelaide

You should arrive in Australia?between two and four weeks before your course starts. This will allow you to organise accommodation and settle in before you begin classes.

Travel insurance

We advise you to purchase travel insurance when you book your flights to Australia. Your travel insurance should cover you for two or three days after you arrive in Australia, in case you experience delays. Your travel agent should be able to help you organise this.


It is a good idea to arrive in Melbourne with some Australian money. Around A$250 in cash is a good amount to start with.

We recommend that you do not travel with large amounts of cash for your safety. Note that if you bring A$10,000 or more in cash to Australia (or equivalent in foreign currency), you must declare it to Australian customs when you arrive. You can find more information about declaring currency on theAustralian Border Force website.

It is also helpful to have a credit card for emergencies. The most common credit cards used in Australia are Visa and MasterCard. American Express and Diners Club credit cards are also accepted by some businesses.

For information about the cost of living in Melbourne, read our guide to living expenses.

Melbourne airports

Melbourne has two major airports:

  • Melbourne Airport?is a 25-minute drive from the Melbourne city centre. All international flights and most domestic flights to Melbourne arrive here. The domestic and international terminals are located in the same building.
  • Avalon Airport?is a 45-minute drive from the Melbourne city centre. Some domestic flights to Melbourne arrive here.

Adelaide airports:

Adelaide airport is 10 away from the city CBD and you can get bus or taxi to the city centre.

International arrivals

On the plane, you will be given an incoming passenger card. You will need to fill in your flight details and customs information.

When you arrive at the airport, you will need your passport and incoming passenger card for the entry control point.

When you have passed through the entry control point, you will collect your baggage and exit the terminal via customs and quarantine.

Quarantine, customs and goods to declare

Australian customs and quarantine regulations restrict you from bringing certain items into Australia and you must declare some items on your incoming passenger card.

If you are carrying any restricted or quarantine items, including food, medication, wooden material, plant material or animal products, you must declare them. Alternatively, you can place them in the quarantine bins when you arrive at the airport.

To declare an item, tick yes on your incoming passenger card.

If you are unsure about an item you are carrying, declare it by ticking yes.

All luggage is screened using a combination of specially trained dogs, x-ray machines and bag inspections on arrival in Australia. If you do not declare any restricted or quarantine items, or if you make a false declaration, you risk severe penalties.

For more information about what to declare, visit the Australian Border Force website?and Australian Department of Agriculture website.

Domestic arrivals

If you are flying to Melbourne from another city, you may arrive at Melbourne Airport?or Avalon Airport.

Domestic travellers are not usually required to go through an entry control point or meet any customs requirements.

Quarantine restrictions are in place for some domestic travel. This means that certain food and plant items cannot be brought into the state of Victoria. For information about what you can and cannot bring to Victoria from other states, visit the Quarantine Domestic website.

Airport pick-up and transport

To travel from the airport to your accommodation, you can use Swinburnes free airport pick-up service or arrange your own transport, such as a taxi or bus.

Airport pick-up service

The airport pick-up service is free for international students when you arrive at Melbourne Airport to commence your first course at?Trison Business College. Bookings must be made at least 24 hour before you arrive in Melbourne.

This service is not available at Avalon Airport.

Students under 18 years of age

Note that if you are under 18 years of age and travelling alone, Trison Business College?policy states that you?must?use the pick-up service when you arrive in Melbourne.


SkyBus is a bus service that connects Melbourne Airport with Southern Cross Station in the Melbourne city centre.

It departs from the domestic and international terminals and costs about A$18 each way.

Sita Coaches

Sita Coaches provide a bus service between Avalon Airport and Southern Cross Station in the Melbourne city centre.

The service meets every flight to and from Avalon Airport and costs about A$22 each way.


Most Melbourne taxis are yellow. You can find taxis at both Melbourne airports.

Approximate taxi fares:

  • Melbourne Airport to city: A$70
  • Avalon Airport to city: A$110.

Additional charges may apply for airport taxis or for using tollways.

If you plan to bring your family with you to Melbourne, there are a number of requirements you must consider.

When deciding whether to bring your family to Melbourne, you are encouraged to consider:

  • the impact on your own studies if your family is unable to adjust to life in Melbourne
  • whether family members who do not speak English may have additional challenges adjusting to life in Melbourne
  • whether your children will be able to adjust to schooling in Melbourne and re-adjust on their return home.

We strongly recommend you complete your first semester of study before you bring your family to Melbourne. This will give you time to adjust to life and study in Melbourne, to find somewhere to live, and to organise childcare or schooling if you have children.


Ensure you have sufficient funds to support your family for the duration of their stay in Melbourne.

Costs you will need to consider include:

  • airfares for your family to and from Australia
  • Overseas Student Health Cover?for all family members
  • higher rent for a larger home
  • living expenses for dependants, including extra costs for food, clothing and other necessities
  • additional transport costs within Melbourne, such as public transport fares
  • child care and schooling.


Check if there are any restrictions to visas for you and your family by contacting the Australian Border Protectionor the?Australian diplomatic mission?in your country.

Note that your student visa assessment criteria may change if your family is accompanying you to Australia.

Children in Australia

Child care

Arrangements for child care must be made for children under the age of five if your spouse is unable to care for them. Child care arrangements must be made prior to any child arriving in Australia. There are long waiting lists at many childcare centres and placements are not guaranteed.

Trison?has a limited number of spaces in our on-campus?childcare facilities. You can also use a database of?local childcare centres?or search using the?Yellow Pages.

The local city council where you live may be able to assist with child care options.

When selecting a childcare centre, make sure it is a government-approved facility. You can find information about child care in the state of Victoria on the on the Victorian Governments Child Care Services website.


If you have children between five and 17 years of age who you plan to bring to Australia, you must enrol them in school. Arrangements for enrolment must be made prior to any child arriving in Australia.

Selecting a school

For a complete list of Victorian primary and secondary schools, as well as information about fees, applications and enrolment, visit the?Victorian Government Schools website.

Applications to non-government schools must be made directly to the school of your choice.

School fees

If you enroll your child in a government school, you may be exempt from paying full tuition fees. For non-government schools and tertiary institutions, you will be charged full tuition fees.

If you will be enrolled as a postgraduate research student at Trison, the Victorian Government may provide exemption from tuition fees in Victorian government primary and secondary schools for your children.

Many international students choose to work in Australia to support their studies.

Before you start working in Australia, you need permission to work and a tax file number.

Work permission

Students who apply for a student visa will automatically receive permission to work. This means you do not need to make a separate application for a work permit.

Visa conditions specify that:

  • Students and their dependents are restricted from undertaking work until the student has commenced their course in Australia.
  • Students and students family members cannot work more than 40 hours per fortnight when their course is in session including the periods when exams are being held (other than work which has been registered as a part of the course) unless specified otherwise by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Tax file numbers

A tax file number (TFN) is a unique number issued to individuals and organisations to help the Tax Office administer tax and other Australian Government systems. Its one of your most important forms of identification in Australia. Its yours for life and keeping it secure is a good defence against identity theft.

Your TFN is valuable. Dont share it with friends and dont provide it on the internet when applying for work. Keep it secure.

While it is not compulsory to quote a TFN, without one you may:

  • Pay more tax than necessary
  • Not be able to get government benefits you are entitled to receive.

A TFN will also help you:

  • Lodge a tax return
  • Make Tax Office enquiries easier
  • Start or change jobs
  • Limit the amount of tax you pay on interest or dividends earned if you have savings accounts or investments that earn income.

The Safer Community Program is your one-stop shop for all student welfare support and campus security services. Safer Community aims to encourage students and staff to play a significant part in campus safety by looking out for one another.

Safety at Home:

  • Security
    • Have your keys ready well before you reach the door of your house.
    • Check to see that windows and doors are in good condition and have secure locks.
    • Make sure that all windows and doors are locked when you go out.
    • Never leave cash or credit cards lying around.
    • Dont leave spare keys outside or in a garage or shed.
    • Keep house and car keys separate.
    • If you are going away, tell someone you trust where you are going and when you will be back.
  • Fire safety ? for information about fire safety in the home, please visit the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
  • Your belongings
    • Make a list of your possessions (including make, model and serial numbers) for reference.
    • Keep photographic records of valuables.
    • Insure your possessions against loss or theft.
  • Student Counselling Service ? A free and confidential service available for all Swinburne students on all campuses.
  • International Student Legal Advice Clinic (ISLAC) ? Free advice for legal problems relating to employment, student rights, discrimination, victims of crime, police complaints and more.
  • Victoria Police ? Non-urgent advice or information, or if you need to report a non-urgent matter, like lost property.
  • Victims of crime helpline ? Free information and support for victims of crime.

Consular services

Country Consulate Contact
China Consulate General of the Peoples Republic of China (03) 9822 0604
India India Consulate General of India, Melbourne
High Commission of India in Australia, ACT
(03) 9384 0460
(02) 6273 3999
Indonesia Consulate-General of the Republic of Indonesia (03) 9525 2755
Korea Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea (02) 9210 0200
Malaysia Consulate of Malaysia (02) 9327 7596
Oman Consulate-General of the Sultanate of Oman (03) 9820 4096
Pakistan Consulate-General of Pakistan (02) 9222 1806
Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (02) 6269 3170
Sri Lanka Consulate of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (03) 9802 0255
Thailand Royal Thai Consulate-General (03) 9533 9100
United Arab Emirates Embassy of the United Arab Emirates (02) 6286 8802
Vietnam Consulate-General of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam